International live sound provider Solotech has furthered its U.S. expansion with the opening of a new office in Nashville, Tennessee. Heading the new office is industry veteran Paul Owen, stepping into the role of Managing Director. Formerly vice president of Thunder Audio, Owen has over 35 years of experience in touring. During his career, Mr. Owen has also been a monitor engineer, including 22 years as monitor engineer for Metallica until 2009, and a production manager.
by Strother Bullins In a Decibel Geek podcast, superstar pop songwriter Desmond Child (whose songs are on well over 300 million albums sold) shared some stats that echo sentiments bouncing around our industry as of late: Sustainable income as a professional songwriter is disturbingly endangered. "Jon, Richie and I get six million streams on Pandora every quarter, as an average, of 'Livin' On A Prayer,' just the one song," offers Child of his co-creation with Bon Jovi. "So just imagine all the other streams we're getting. Yeah, but we got a big check for $110 [for the song last quarter] to split amongst the three of us and our publishers. Yeah. The streaming thing is a beat and we have to switch that...the record companies get 96 percent of the money and we get 4 percent."
"It doesn't need to be done correctly; I just want to make it sound good. I don't care if people playing with me know the R&B references that I do; I only care that they get it right." - Eli "Paperboy" Reed