Santa Monica, CA (December 19, 2013)—The Recording Academy Producers & Engineers Wing and Nashville Chapter recently hosted a panel discussion titled "Lost In Transaction," examining the shifting landscapes of royalties and compensation in the digital age.
by Clive Young Arif Mardin was a recording icon, producing and arranging hits for decades as he created career-defining songs for Hall & Oates, Phil Collins, Carly Simon, Bette Midler, the Bee Gees, Norah Jones, Chaka Khan and many others. More than 50 million records were sold with Mardin's name on them, and he took home 12 Grammy Awards in the process. While he spent most of his life behind the scenes, the producer now takes centerstage in the documentary The Greatest Ears In Town: The Arif Mardin Story, just released on DVD and digital services.
"When I grew up, I was a liner note-reader; now we're in what we call the Information Age, and credits may be the only [piece of information] that used to be around that doesn't exist now. The reason I'm even doing what I'm doing as a writer and producer is because of growing up looking at liner notes." —Grammy-award winning producer Jimmy Jam. From the latest issue of Pro Sound News; want to read more? Click here to subscribe to our free online edition!